what is vdrl weakly reactive mean?
I am back again here, and have question again,before i have reactive result of vdrl and i already done in penicilin shot 3 dose, 3 months from now yesterday i take a vdrl blood test again and the result is weakly reactive now, I dont know what change now. pls help me to know about if the penicilin i take before is already works.. Thanks..
TppA- reactive
fta abs- non reactive
Hi, your question is a bit complicated. You should consult your doctor on this. Your VDRL test is positive if it is weakly reactive and the TppA is reactive but the FTA is non reactive. This could mean that the penicillin shot didn't work and you may still have syphillis. This is because the FTA can be negative during the early and late stages of Syphillus. The best time to take the FTA test is midstage. The TppA test is a confirmatory test for the VDRL screening test. It is used in patients that may be negative for VDRL but have signs and symptoms of late Syphillus. If that is positive you still have Syphillus or were reinfected if you had unprotected sex after the penicillin shot. Once the FTA becomes positive it can remain positive for life, meaning you have antibodies against the Syphillus. So they first screen with a test call RPR or VDRL, if that is positive they do the TppA and .FTA. Hope this makes sense.
What is the real meaning of VDRL & how does it effect in your body?
VDRL is Veneral Disease Reference Laboratory. It doesn't affect your body is just the name of a test.
We are not doctors on this site we have various types of personal and some of us have professional experience as well. I am a microbiologist other may be nurses or nurse practitioners. Most are just answering questions based on their life experiences.
mkh9
Hi.. i am also a vdrl positive.. my doctor said i should take ascorbic acid and take plenty of water for 2 days.. i take again the test and the result was weakly reactive.. i went to specialist and she said i should undergo for quantitative rpr to confirm if i was positive or negative.. can u help me what should i do to make it negative before i take test. Is there any medicine or remedies to get a neagtive result.. pls help me.. because i am applying abroad.
Codename54
Yes I would get the quatitative RPR (same as VDRL) and see if that is positive. If it is I would get a FTA antibody test to confirm it. Or ask the doctor to tell you which test they want to confirm it. If you are positive you and any partners you have or had need treatment. The doctor that said to treat using ascorbic acid (vitamin C) is using data that has not been confirmed to treat Syphilis.

Also, some things can probably cause false positives. False positives can be caused by Lyme's disease, pregnancy, and various other things like certain types of pneumonia, TB, malaria some autoimmune diseases like lupus. The RPR titer (quantitation) can look for active versus non active or maybe false positive if it is really low.
Did you have unprotected sex? What country do you live in now? So if you are positive get treated. It will be okay.
thanks,
mkh9