Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Almost 2 year old waking in night and will not go back to sleep

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

My son will be 2 in a couple of weeks.  The last few nights, he has been waking in the middle of the night and WILL NOT go back to sleep.  We pu him to bed about 9pm with a routine (sotires, dirnk, to bed) and he does this with no problem.  He has been getting up earlier and earlier in the mornings.  It started out from 7:30m and has been getting eariler with each passing day.  Now he is waking up about 2 am, or roughly after 6 to 7 hours of sleep, and wanting to get up and play.  He calls for mom, wants to get out of his crib, and has SO much energy.  Its not like he is simply waking in the night and is unable to self-sooth and get back to sleep, he is ready to get up for the day and wants to play.  He will stay awake until 1pm when he naps, and then only naps or about an hour or two, it doesn't matter how long his nap is, no nap or a normal nap for him it doesnt' seem to make any difference in his not wanting to get up in the middle of the night.  Needless to say, I am exhasuted.  Any suggestions, ideas, anything?

Thank you!
I am not a pediatric sleep specialist. You should consult with a sleep clinic that has a pediatric sleep specialist on staff. Most accredited sleep clinics evaluate and treat children.

Dr. Jacobs