Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Alpha Wave Intrusion

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Alpha Wave Intrusion
My first diagnosis was a 1997 sleep study, reconfirmed in a 2nd sleep study in 2005 and both doctors as they were different that many years apart, commented I was "one of worst cases they'd seen". I've been without medical insurance since 2005 and had no financial ability to continue any type of preferred treatment, which doctor 2  was nebulous as to the cause of this condition or preferred treatment other then possibly biofeedback!
I'm one that wants to address root cause not just treat pesky symptoms.
Is there a preferred protocal, other then pharmaceuticals?
I've tried everything from OTC ( Nyquil TYlenol PM, Benadryl, rotating not together), herbal, Yoga, Pilates, HTP, Melaton, Valerian, sleep teaHot milk, warm baths, prayer, meditation, hormones, colon cleanse, relaxation cd's, etc. Nothing provides lasting relief and in fact I'm taking a turn for the worse with poor quality  sleep of 3-5 hours if I'm lucky each night. This is impossible!
13 years (as it actually reared it's ugly head in 1996) of trying to deal with this leaves me feeling like I'm circling the drain!
Anything new to try that's hopefully along the Natural line?
OZ3 inSherwood, OR
You can try CBT for insomnia per my posts and website.

cbtforinsomnia.com
I am very sympathetic to your problem having suffered insomnia for 30 years, to the detriment of my health and the enjoyment of life.

Have you ever looked for a physical cause? Mine turned out to be iodine deficiency. I now take iodine and sleep normally.  Doctors tried to send me to shrinks, to send me to sleep clinics, etc. I knew it was physical, but no one would listen to me.  The solution revealed itself when I developed an overwhelming craving for clams. I told my doctor I wanted to be tested. Bingo!  I am hypothyroid. This did not show up in the annual blood test.
A related discussion, to: ozzy3 was started.