Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Bad insomnia

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Bad insomnia
I don't know what to do anymore. I am unable to fall asleep until 6 am every day. I used to take Ambien 10 mg and that helped. Right now, I am taking Zoloft 100 mg in the mornings. For sleep, since I dont have Ambien I take Xanax 2 mg. That still doesnt help so I take Gabapentin 2 capsules(orange) and sleep aid OTC. After I take all of that, I am still not sleepy, just a bit drowsy. I have been like this for weeks and I dont know what to do anymore. I try to wake up earlier, I stay busy during the day and I eat healthy and excercise 4-6 times a week. When I do fall asleep, I have very vidid dreams. What should I do???
Your 1st step should be to try the behavioral techniques described in my blogs and on my website. If that does not improve your sleep, you should be evaluated at a sleep center since you may have a delayed phase disorder in which your body temperature is shifted too late and you may need light therapy or chronotherapy to shift it (chronotherapy involves going to bed 3 hours later each day for a week).

Dr. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com