Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Can't stop mind-chatter to sleep

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Can't stop mind-chatter to sleep

I have been treated successfully for the past 8 years for chronic migraines.   My neurologist put me on EffexorXR 150mg daily, and MaxaltDL to handle the occurrence of migraines.   The migraines have been undercontrol and much less frequent.  After my husband died, I tried to stop Effexor cold turkey, and ended up in emergency with tremendous body pain.   My tests came out good and I was released... nothing wrong.    My neurologist was very upset when he found out I stopped cold.   I am back on Effexor, taking 150mg every other day.    I have had a history of sleep problems, but recently realized that I "count" all the time.   It started out when I was counting the seconds between red lights so I could use less gas starting and stopping.   Now I find I count when I pour coffee, or just about anything done while I'm doing a task.   When I go to bed, I have racing thoughts, and an obsessive "beat" that keeps running in my head.  It's like music, but without actual music, and my fingers move to the beat.   Is this due to the Effexor?   My doctor said the Effexor has kind of re-wired my brain and that has aided in my control of the headaches, and I might not be able to get off of it, but he has decreased the dosage.  I know better than to try to stop cold again, but I really would like to be able to cry and sleep!
Your doctor who prescribes the effexor is the person to ask about side effects.

Dr. Jacobs