Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Help! I can't stay asleep

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Help! I can't stay asleep

I have had Excessive Daytime Sleepiness for as long as I can remember and was diagnosed with Central Sleep Apnea a few years ago.  I tried the CPAP and it only made it worse because I would wake up fighting for breath against it. I can't afford the demand only CPAP because I have a high deductible.
     My daughter has ADHD as does her daughter and she swears that she thinks that I have a mild form of it and I resist that diagnosis because labeling it for me seems to have the stigma of surrendering to that diagnosis and making it responsible for everything that happens to me instead of me taking responsibility.  
      My sleep problem that seems to be getting worse.  I don't want to take medications because drugs are really toxins for your body and many so side affects and contraindications.  I have tried Sleep Fast, Sleep MD, Benadryl, Melatonin, Sleep Apnea Relief, Sleepytime teas, humidifiers, relaxing music, hot baths before bed, going to bed the same time every night, no tv in my room, darkened room, comfortable pillows and just about everything else I can think of.
        I don't know what else to do.  I go to sleep right away but then in the middle of the night, I wake up fully alert and can't go back to sleep.  I take another Melatonin, sleepy time tea and warm milk and get up to listen to music or read to get sleepy but to no avail.  I don't take any caffeine and I eat fairly light in the evening.  I am doing all that I can and am getting frustrated.  Do I need to go to the doctor and get doped up just so I can get some sleep?  I have ordered some teas so that I can combine all of the ingredients that people say that can work for them to go to sleep along with ingredients that help with sleep apnea and that will have about 20 different teas that I will have to try.  
     Does anyone know of any studies or something that have been going on for problems like this
Excessive daytime sleepiness is due to untreated apnea. Cognitive Behavioral Therapy may provide benefit to reduce the middle of the night insomnia so see my website and blogs on CBT. However, it is very possible that apneas are waking you and that treating the apnea would reduce or eliminate the awakenings. Since you have not been able to treat the apnea, you may always have awakenings and excessive daytime sleepiness until you do.

Dr. Jacobs
cbtforinsomnia.com
can ambien pescribed by doctor help to at least get some sleep for a while.
I had to do that, i wasnt sleeping for mths.
now im sleepin.......
missy
Your doctor prescribed Ambien because he/she thinks it will improve your sleep.

Dr. Jacobs