Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Hypnic jerks-help!
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Hypnic jerks-help!

I have been having these "hypnic jerks" for 3 months now-as soon as I start to drift off to sleep, a part of my body will jolt me awake. It happens all night long and I get from about 0-3 hours of sleep a night. Lately it is less in my body and more of a sensation in my head (like a knocking noise usually), but always wakes me up. Sometimes if I manage to start dreaming, it's like I suddenly become aware and I come out of the dream. I've tried several different meds (trazadone, remeron, ambien, lunesta), all with very little success. I am very hesitant to try the last option of Klonopin knowing how hard a time people have coming off of it. I just want to know if anyone else has had this problem and found a treatment or had it go away on it's own. I am getting desparate...