Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Impact of Sleeping Pills on Immune System

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

I have been taking prescription sleeping pills every night for the past 2 years and occasionally for the past 10 years. During the past 2 years I have had more colds/flus than ever before (note: I also have a 2 1/2 year old child). I wanted to know if taking sleeping pills impacts the "restorative" sleep cycle and therefore would decrease my immune system. Of course, it could be that I have just been exposed to more viruses that ever before as I am around small children.

I always thought that quality sleep (no matter natural or with sleeping aids) was very important for our health and immune system. I know when I am fighting a virus I may take a sleeping pill in the early morning just to get a 7 or 8 hours of total sleep time. Is this a mistake?

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
There is no research on this topic so there is no way to answer your question at this time.

Dr. Jacobs