Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Incurable insomia

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Incurable insomia

I have been suffering from insomia for over 20 years. The last 15 years I have been averaging two and a half to three hours sleep. I can be falling asleep watching tv and then go lie down in bed and not be able to fall asleep. for a couple of hours and when I do I am only asleep for about 3 hours.  I have taken so many different types of anti depressants to help me with sleep but none of them have worked. Is there help out there?
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is now the first line treatment for insomnia. You can learn more about it in my blogs or by visiting my website.

Dr. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com
I really sympathise with you as I have suffered with insomnia for 23 years!

Having tried lots of pills and therapy in the early years which didn't work, I have tried to cope with it and lead a relatively normal life.

However, my insomnia refuses to go away so I decided recently to request a referral to a cognitive therapist as I feel my problem is definitely psychologically based.  

I think you firstly have to recognise whether your own insomnia is a physical or a psychological symptom.

There is definitely no quick fix.  I know myself it will take time and effort (something I don't particularly relish)!

However, I am a busy working Mum and I am not prepared to carry on living this half life, feeling dreadfully tired and unable to enjoy life.

Good luck to you!
Remember, you're not alone.
x
Have you ever looked for a physical cause? The first assumption is always that it is a psychological problem. I suffered severe insomnia for 30 years. Finally, after those years of misery it was found to be an endocrine problem. Now I sleep, but am still furious that the doctors were so single-minded. You might have your thyroid and adrenals checked.
A related discussion, Insomnia was started.