Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Needs to sleep!!!!

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Needs to sleep!!!!

I've been a sufferer of endometriosis for quite some time. My doctor has put me on Depo Lupron which puts my body into menopause. At the age of 23, it sure isn't fun! I was also prescribed add back therapy in the form of two hormone pills to try to minimize the side effects. So far, after 3 months of shots, I am miserable. I have hot flashes, I'm moody but the two worse symptoms that I cannot seem to deal with is nausea and insomnia.

The nausea has been a problem for the past 3 years but has gotten to the point where I can no longer eat. The insomnia is taking over my life. I am not sleepy when it comes time to sleep and I end up falling asleep at 7-8am! Which means that I will wake up at around 4pm. I have always been a good sleeper but I cannot handle this any longer. I have tried over the counter sleep aids, prescribed meds, warm milk, meditation and yoga, reading, EVERYTHING!!! I've even tried waking up at 10am no matter how much sleep I get but I don't fall asleep until 7-8 the next morning.

Could you please help, I cannot handle not getting any sleep. It makes my other side effects worse and life miserable.

Thank you!
You have a significant disruption in your sleep rhythm, called delayed phase disorder. It needs to be treated with light and chronotherapy (going to bed later by 3 hours every day for 5-7 days until you achieve the correct bedtime). This is best done under supervision of a sleep center so ask you doctor for a referral.

Dr. Jacobs