Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Troublesome trouble while sleeping

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Troublesome trouble while sleeping

25y/o male, non-smk, (around gf who smokes often), non-drinker, no drugs.
This started suddenly about 3 mths ago, lasted for about 2 mths then went away for about 2 wks & now is back. Almost every morning when I head to bed, I fall asleep fine. The issue is when I awake. I feel, "off", like my body is numb, & is "asleep", (minus the, "pins and needles feeling"). I bought a BP monitor to take readings. My lowest reading was about 38 pulse and 95/55 BP. I would also have an "irregular" heart beat symbol pop up as well on the monitor. (My avg resting HR is about 50, and BP around 110/70.) Normally sleep through the night, but once this started, I would wake up at least 2-3 times during the night, feeling, "off" & frightened, reluctant to fall back asleep. The best way to describe it, is it's as if my heart was seeming to struggle to beat enough or correctly while I was sleeping. Once awake for the day, I would be able to, "shake it off" and start to feel better about 10-30 min later, (coincidentally, my pulse and BP would increase during the time I would start to feel better). I have seen a Cardiologist & have done a stress test, my heart is in great shape, only a normal cardiac arrhythmia. I have seen a Neurologist, & he stated I don't seem to have any abnormal brain issues. I had told both about my issues; each differed to the other. I had a sympathetomy (t3-t4) for hyper-hydrosis & excessive facial blushing back in 2001; the heart doc seemed to think this may be responsible for my lowered pulse... & he thought this may have something to do with my issues at night. (I'm not inclined to agree) When this started, I thought it was environmental, but that found to be false. I am considering a sleep study so as to further confirm my feelings of what occurs at night. I am a night owl and don't get to bed till late morning.. so I eat late as well. I only take Reglen to assist in processing food as I have low digestive fluids. I sleep a normal, 7-8 hours.
If your cardiologist and neurologist have not turned up anything that would explain this arousal during sleep, you should schedule a sleep center evaluation. You might also want to pose your question to Dr. Park in the Sleep Breathing Disorders forum since this may relate to breathing/pulmonary functioning and possibly underlying sleep disorder such as sleep apnea.

Dr. Gregg D, Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com
I had done a previous sleep study back in 2006, they found no evidence of Sleep Apnea.
I would suggest an evaluation with a sleep physician, not just a sleep study, if you have not had one (e.g., a history and physical with a sleep doctor) since many sleep labs only do overnight studies. I would post the question to Dr. Park’s forum as well.

Dr. Jacobs