Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Unable to get a good nights sleep

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Unable to get a good nights sleep

I have trouble falling asleep, and when I do I tend to wake up frequently through the night. I also wake up early, usually before my alarm between 6 to 7 am every morning and I wake up feeling exhausted. Even on weekends when I try to sleep in I still wake up, and I am unable to fall asleep when i try to take a nap.

I read through a couple of posts from people with the same problems and it cites depression and stress as a main cause. I recently moved (same job, different location) and though I miss my old office and colleagues I wouldnt exactly call myself depressed though Im not exactly happy.
The workload in my new location is also lighter and less stressful. So why is it I still cant sleep ?
Although stress or depression can trigger insomnia, learned sleep behaviors can also be the main cause of insomnia. As a result, it is treated with behavioral therapy which you can learn more about in my blogs and website. If you do not respond to behavioral techniques, then you will want to be evaluated for anxiety or possibly depression.

Dr. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com