Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Unable to wake up

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Unable to wake up
My son cannot wake up in the mornings. He does not snore. He was a bedwetter as a child due to this problem. Now he is 21 and it is causing him some problems on his job. He has the loudest, most obnoxious alarm he could find. He put it away from his bed so he has to get up. However, often it still will not wake him up. When he was at home, he depended on me to get him up. Now that he is on his own, it is a real problem. He just received a suspension for two weeks at work due to tardies. He does not have to be at work until 10:00, and he makes sure he is in the bed by 11:00. His alarm is set for 9:00, but he can not depend on it to wake him up. Is there any help for this?
He may have hypersomnia or even narcolepsy. There is hope but he needs to be evaluated at a sleep center so they can do a sleep study to determine what sleep disorder he might have and what treatment he needs.

Dr. Jacobs
Thank you for a quick answer on a Sunday afternoon. I will make a call tomorrow and set something up for him. Thanks again.