Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Waking Dreams
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Waking Dreams

I am having a problem with sleeping. Its not while I sleep that the problem occurs, its right before I fall asleep. I will lay down and get ready to go to sleep and I'll get nice and comfortable, but then I'll start feeling weird and the next thing i know ill be having a waking dream and then I will open my eyes and my everything that i have my eyes on will be distorted.
It leaves me with a feeling of terror and i won't want to close my eyes again, the worst thing is, is that I am not asleep so I don't feel like I can pass it off as a nightmare or night terror.
I usually can't remember what I'm 'dreaming' about, and if I do remember its a blurry rememberance. The other weird thing is that if I can remember it and it wasn't bad, I still am terrified. I feel like I'm hallucinating, but not all at the same time.
I am not on any drugs and I havnt had a tramatic experience or any major stress.
This all strarted happening recently and its started to bother me.
Does anyone know what it might be or even what I could do to solve my problem?
Tags: sleep, terrors, hallucinations?, dreams, waking
707647_tn?1251492147
You may have an underlying sleep disorder and should be evaluated at a sleep center.

Dr. Jacobs
3 Comments
Blank
I would also like to add that I am an eighteen year old female.
Blank
That is called a hypnagogic hallucination.  Could be narcolepsy or another sleep disturbance - you should go to a sleep clinic like Dr. Jacobs said.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...
17 hrs ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank