Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
Waking up every hour/two hours

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Waking up every hour/two hours

Hello. I am a 38 yr old female who suffers from daily migraines and fibromyalgia. Recently, in the last two months, I have developed a new sleeping disorder. When I go to bed, I have no trouble falling asleep because I am exhausted. But then in an hour or sometimes in two hours, I will wake up for no apparent reason. It feels like I have slept all night but only an hour has gone by. And then I proceed to wake up every couple of hours the whole night through! It is driving me crazy. Sometimes I will have to urinate but not always. I have no trouble going back to sleep but my overall sleep is not at all restful. I take rozerem and topamax and nortriptaline at night. These have never bothered me before. Any ideas?

Thank You
  • insomnia (1 replies):
    hi, i have sufferd sleep problems for many years im only...[more]
  • insomia (1 replies):
    hi ,i am a 3rd year medical student. i would like to tel...[more]
  • 12 step program (1 replies):
    Dear Dr. Parks, I am having trouble finding the 12 step...[more]
  • not sleeping well (5 replies):
    I am unable to sleep more and more. I have tried all th...[more]
  • insomnia (1 replies):
    i am a 15 year female w/ sleeping problems. my parents a...[more]
Please review my first post on short-term vs. chronic insomnia on 12/16 since you may be moving into chronic insomnia if these problems have persisted for more than a few weeks. If so, it is time to begin the 10 key sleep tips that I posted in my blog on 12/16; here they are again:

If you want to sleep better, there are proven non-drug methods for improving sleep. The following is a list of the 10 most important behavioral (non-drug) techniques for improving your sleep:

1.The belief that everyone must get eight hours of sleep is a myth. People who live the longest sleep 7 hours per night, not eight, so don’t worry about getting 8 hours of sleep. Most people need between 6 and 8 hours of sleep to function effectively during the day.

2.Get out of bed within a half hour of the same time every day, including weekends, no matter how little or poorly you have slept.

3.Reduce your time in bed so that it more closely matches the amount of sleep you average each night.

4.Use the bedroom for sleep and sexual activity only.

5.Make sure you feel drowsy when you turn the lights off to go to sleep. If you do not fall asleep within 20-30 minutes, go to another room and engage in a quiet, relaxing activity until you feel drowsy.

6.Don’t take sleeping pills regularly. They have side effects and inconsistent benefits, particularly in older adults.

7.Practice relaxation techniques at bedtime including muscular relaxation, mental focusing, and breathing techniques.

8.Take an afternoon nap after a poor night’s sleep

9.Increase your exposure to early morning sunlight as soon as you wake up to establish a more consistent sleep rhythm.

10.Exercise by taking a brisk walk 3-6 hours before bedtime. This will improve your sleep by causing a greater rise and fall in your body temperature.

Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com

OY YOY YOY!
PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR MORE INFO!!
I AM 40 YRS OLD AND HAVE HAD ALL OF YOUR SYMPTOMS FOR 20 YEARS.
I AM CURING THINGS BY MY OWN RESEARCH AND TREATMENT!!!
THESE DRS ARE JUST NOT GETTING IT!!
I HAVE MANY IMPORTANT THINGS TO SHARE WITH YOU AND YOU WILL STOP GETTING MIGRAINES AND YOUR INSOMNIA WILL GO AWAY, TOO.
THIS IS ALL RELATED TO HORMONES, STRESS, DIET AND NUTRIENT DEFICIENCIES.
HONEY...DRUGS DO NOT WORK FOR THIS KIND OF PROBLEM AND THEY WILL ONLY MAKE THE SLEEP/PAIN CYCLES WORSE AND WORSE AND WORSE!
EMAIL ME DIRECTLY FOR INFORMATION, AND WE WILL LICK THIS PROBLEM TOGETHER!
KIM:)
***@****