Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
What can be done for chronic insomnia

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

What can be done for chronic insomnia

Is there anything else that can be done? I have suffered from insomnia essentially all of my adult life (I am 42, female).  I have probably tried nearly everything, but I seem to have a pattern of, if I get a good night sleep, it is immediately followed by several nights of disturbed sleep (trouble falling asleep, waking early and/or being awake in the middle of the night).  I take Klonopin about every 1 1/2 weeks to help with sleep. I keep a regular sleep schedule, minimize stimulation prior to bed, limit caffeine in the PM, limit alcohol, These have helped to a small degree. I walk nearly daily (and in the past regularly did aerobic exercise).  In the past, I had been to a doctor for this and tried numerous meds (Paxil, trazodone, and others), as well as different herbal meds (also melatonin), none of which worked.   I have also tried yoga, meditation, accupuncture (Didn't work) I have tried getting out of bed if I am awake in the middle of the night (doesn't work even if I feel sleepy when I go back to bed, it is still another hour before I get back to sleep)  Is there anything else?  Is it a problem with taking the Klonopin  (which works somewhat) periodically, when things get out of hand? (I know I shouldn't take it too often)
1.Occasional Klonopin will not result in side effects such as tolerance or dependence.
2. You are a good candidate for cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) which is effective in 80% of patients with insomnia. Please see my website for more information on CBT.

Dr. Jacobs
www.cbtforinsomnia.com