Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
What can be done for chronic insomnia
About This Forum:

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

What can be done for chronic insomnia

Is there anything else that can be done? I have suffered from insomnia essentially all of my adult life (I am 42, female).  I have probably tried nearly everything, but I seem to have a pattern of, if I get a good night sleep, it is immediately followed by several nights of disturbed sleep (trouble falling asleep, waking early and/or being awake in the middle of the night).  I take Klonopin about every 1 1/2 weeks to help with sleep. I keep a regular sleep schedule, minimize stimulation prior to bed, limit caffeine in the PM, limit alcohol, These have helped to a small degree. I walk nearly daily (and in the past regularly did aerobic exercise).  In the past, I had been to a doctor for this and tried numerous meds (Paxil, trazodone, and others), as well as different herbal meds (also melatonin), none of which worked.   I have also tried yoga, meditation, accupuncture (Didn't work) I have tried getting out of bed if I am awake in the middle of the night (doesn't work even if I feel sleepy when I go back to bed, it is still another hour before I get back to sleep)  Is there anything else?  Is it a problem with taking the Klonopin  (which works somewhat) periodically, when things get out of hand? (I know I shouldn't take it too often)