Insomnia - Adult Expert Forum
is insomnia causing tremor?

Questions in the Sleep & Insomnia Forum are being answered by Dr. Gregg D. Jacobs.

is insomnia causing tremor?
I am 48 and was diagnosed with sleep apnea over a year ago. I use a cpap, and this has helped with the quality of the sleep I do get, but that is still very little.  I find myself falling asleep on the couch around 8 or 9 pm, drifting in and out depending on my snoring and how often my wife wakes me up.  At night it takes me about 30-45 minutes to fall asleep with my mask on.  I usually wake up briefly throughout the night and am pretty much wide awake after 3 am.  I have been attending a 5-week CBT program and am trying to use sleep compression (my wife wakes me to try and help with this).  I started out trying this with small dose of Ambien CR each night but found this led to major depression, so stopped medication.  Recently I awaken feeling....sort of like my nervous system in shakey.....not sure how to discribe it.  I am noticing my hands have a slight tremor to them,  This is not constant, but happens alot.  I am concerned there may be something more than just the insomnia happening.  I have had a complete physical and blood work, and everything basic is ok.  Can you offer any insight or suggestions or possible things for my doctors to work with?  Thanks.
This is a neurological symptom that is not likely related to insomnia. it should be evaluated and addressed by your doctor or a neurologist.

Dr. Jacobs