Insomniacs Unite User Group
Eating late
About This Group:

This is a group for anyone who struggles with insomnia, whether it be a once in a great while thing, or a near daily occurrence; whether it be because of chronic pain or illness, or if it's an inability to "turn off your brain" at night. Hopefully we can all share thoughts, ideas, helpful tips, etc., that may help a fellow insomniac get a few blissful hours of shut-eye.

Founded by geminigirl1963 on February 13, 2011
32 members

Eating late

Funny thing I have cut out eating anything past 5pm and I am sleeping better, also only drinking water, admittedly I have had that rotten flu and was on Meds, but I am sleeping better, now by better I mean at least 5 hours and sometimes 6 which is amazing for me ..So my conclusion is its to do with a higher sugar level than I would like ..I havent been told I am diabetic only high sugar and I have been trying to go low sugar diet.So any of you try low sugar especially after the last meal, see if you do sleep any better .
where is everyone ...sleeping late ?
Ha-ha, yeah!  Hi Margy, no, I didn't sleep late but I did get more sleep than usual.  I took Nyquil for my bad cold and a clonazapam to boot.  But the problem is...I can't expect to do that every night.  I have been trying not to eat after 4pm but I usually have a little sugar-free, fat-free pudding cup around 7 pm.  I don't think I've slept better but I have dropped a few lbs.
funny since I had that flu I have been sleeping more hours but it may have been the codeine cough med they gave me ...the test will come when I stop taking the med, tonight maybe as the cough has virtually one .hey I could do with losing some pounds ..maybe I will wait till its warmer its 9-30am here and its just above freezing ....
Tonight I will be sleeping without the benefit of Nyquil, clonazapam or any other sleep aid.  I will try to endure until I enter the Sleep Clinic Wed. night.  Wish me luck!
yes good luck hon......♥

sleep clinic...for sleep apnea testing??? I did this with a in home meter the end of Dec....no results yet, sure don't like the thoughts of needing to wear a mask everynight...is this what you are doing too?
oohh I wish you luck Linda ,how long do you have to be there ? Will you give us a blow by blow account so we would know what to expect if we dared to do it ...
Ok...so I go tonight at 7 PM and leave at 9 AM.  Don't kbn ow what goes on in-between!  I'll let y'all know when I get back home tomorrow.  I don't think I have sleep apnea, but we'll see!  TTYL
hahah thats good I expect they will stick pins in you LOL.just jesting
How did it go???

Opus, I will be anxious to know your results, also...
Why are we waiting, whyyy are we waiting ......lalal   Hey Linda what happened
Ok, so I thought I wouldn't have any trouble FALLING asleep but by the time they loaded me up with all the contraptions they use with the ECG, EEG ( not fun, goop all in your hair, ugh!), belts, oxcimeter, respitory monitor, but I didn't have to wear a mask.  I was hooked up to so much stuff I could barely move!  The bed was uncomfortable, and something bit me while I was in it!!!  I couldn't have slept more than 30 min. total.

However, the next morning the Dr. informed me I actually slept 150 min.  I don't see how that is possible.  Anyway, no aleep apnea, no restless leg syndrome, nothing to give them a clue really.  The Dr. on duty wanted me to follow-up with my Sleep Dr. on the 28th and then go to the "Insomniac" clinic on the 30th.  Don't know what that entails.  He prescribed me a month's supply of Silenor...don't know anything about it, never heard of it.  I think it's the name brand of Doxypin which I don't know anything about either.  I hat to take anything.  Last night I slept a little better just being back home in my own bed.  We're going out of town for the weekend but I may go ahead and try the "new" pill tonight.  Does anyone know anything about this med?
Hi Linda just got in and we are having beautiful warm weather..now I looked up Silenor its a powerful drug by the sound of it,   take a look at this link www.drugs.com/mtm/silenor.html-   there seem to be side effects , much online to read before you take it ..it may be okay for you so just read up as much as you can..I guess you could try it and see what happens .. What a palaver you went through ..I know it wouldnt do for me a sleep clinic as it would make me so nervous I would be awake all the time anyway LOL
I took the Silenor Fri. night and it did absolutely nothing for me except raise my BP and gave me a fast heart rate...did not help me sleep at all!  I don't know if I'll give it another chance or not.  Because we were out of town and in a motel I took an Ambien last night and truly slept like a baby.

I still don't want to take Ambien so I don't know what's next.  I have appts the 28th and 30th and maybe I'll have something more productive to report on the whole sleep issue.  I'm pretty discouraged! :(  Margy, thanks...I'll check out that website.
well Linda, I do hope ths leads to some solutions for you, insomnia is so frustrating!!! I did the home kit version of the sleep study,, had no call backs yet on their findings...I know what you mean abt all those hook ups and how on earth do they expect someone with a sleep problem already to be able to sleep wired up like that is beyond me...I took a sleeping pill in order to get a few hours to see if there is any apnea.
I too don't like to resort to sleeping medications and do so only when absolutely necessary....as I know you do too. the trouble is they do give us a night of reprieve now and than but if used continually this wouldn't be the case...
keep us posted...I too hope there are some productive solutions :))
I agree we do look for solutions any way we can, my best bet has been on correcting my sugar and eating habits .but I still dont sleep like the dh does. If I get 4-5 hours I feel lucky . the dh  tells everyone he sleeps well because he has a clear conscience ...lol
No wonder that med didn't help you sleep, its a Tricyclic anti-depressant, although it does work for some.  My Dr wrote out a low dose of Elavil (also a Tricyclic AD) last year, and all it did was make my heart race, too.  This was at 25mgs.  Now when I was taking 300mgs in the 80's, not for sleep but for the AD effect, it put me out like a light!  

I know how frustrating it is, Linda/Everyone.  It looks like the search continues for all of us...

I should have known.  I took amitriptyline back in the '80's for sleepleness and depression.  It helped me sleep back then but I also gained about 40 lbs in one year.  So far Ambien is the only thing that does it for me!
Good luck Linda and all....

My bro in law went thro the sleep apnea clinic thing...damn....he sleeps well..but said he, too, could barely sleep with all the widgets strapped to him...I know for sure that is one place I'll never visit!

Re: med....I remember Elavil, too....first crash I had landed me in the hospital...and that is what I was prescribed..I was 40.

It knocked me out...that I'd jolt awake and be in high gear all day..

Well....time passes...and by 50 there was no way ...our bodies change....do remember fondly the great sleep when I was 40:).
well I had been hoping I had cracked it but last night was the pits I just couldnt stay asleep so today I feel out of sorts
meegWpaw commented on photo
breezytoo commented on photo
meegWpaw commented on photo
Dec 19