Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Bleeding after embryo transfer

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

Bleeding after embryo transfer

Hello- I had a day 3 transfer today.  The transfer went very well- but afterwards when my Dr, took the speculum out- I had some bleeding right away.  He looked and said it was from the retrieval site.  He said there was absolutely no impact on the transfer.  He even showed me the clean catheter so I saw there was no bleeding in the uterus.  Have you seen this happen.  I have had very light intermittant spotting the rest of today and hardly any discomfort.  Do you think vaginal wall (retrieval puncture site) bleeding will hurt my chance?

Avatar_dr_m_tn
I agree with your doctor.  It would not affect the transfer.
Thank you for your help.  ANother question if you have time- is there any way an embryo can "fall out"  by coughing, laughing, bowel movement strains, etc?  I know they say it is impossible  but I am still worried.  If sperm can get in and blood can get out (period) why can't a microscopic embryo come out?

THANK YOU!!!!
Avatar_dr_m_tn
No an embryo cannot fall out by those things.  Sperm swim and so can move.  Blood is a fluid and can move.  The embryo is placed into the endometrium and then it cannot move.  Now  the endometrium can move if it breaks down ie like blood from menstrual cycle but the embryo once it is placed just sits in the endometrium and has no where to go.  It can implant or fail to implant and then you get your period.