Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Can I get pregnant with irregular periods

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

I have irregular periods once I went 3 years without having an period I dont know if it was cuz I took one depro shot but now when I come on sometimes I stay on for 2 or 4 months and I was wondering could I get pregnant having irregular periods like that
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If you have irregular periods, you not be ovulating.  You can check a basal body temperature chart to monitor your cycles or buy an ovulation predictor kit to find out if you are ovulating.  If you are not ovulating, or need further investigation, you can see your gynecologist or specialist called a Reproductive Endocrinologist to do hormone blood tests to confirm if you ovulate or not.  This is done by checking a Progesterone level around cycle day 21 to 24.  If you are not ovulating, they would do a work up including checking your hormones for something called Polycystic ovarian syndrome and other hormones that can cause irregular periods like TSH which checks your thyroid. Indeed if you are having irregular cycle, it could been that you will have difficulty getting pregnant but the good news is that usually this can be treated by fertility medications.
My cycle is irregular and I'm trying to concieve (conceive). I have bought a fertility monitor but it never told me I was ovulating. We even tried having sex everyday to concieve (conceive). I'm out of options and don't know what to do. I even asked a doctor and they said i was fine as lon as i was having a cycle I can concieve (conceive). Like this month my cycle started on the 2nd and went off on the 5th and now it's the 31st and its on again. When is the best time for me to concieve (conceive).  
A related discussion, could i be pregnat? was started.