Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Crinone

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

Crinone

My doctor told me to take a vaginal suppository, Crinone, once a day, beginning a week after ovulation, and taking the suppositories until my period comes.  I'm not sure why RE prescribed these, as my progesterone levels were tested to be normal, but due to some luteal phase spotting, he thought it would be a good idea.

My questions are:

1.  Will crinone delay my period?  I've heard people say that you're only supposed to take it until you go into the doctor's office and get a beta done, and if not pregnant, you should stop the crinone.  However, my RE said take it UNTIL AF comes.

2.  My luteal phase is VERY consistent at 11-12 days.  Today I am on the 13th day.  Does crinone lengthen the luteal phase?  How many days should I continue to take this?  

I would call my doctor, but it's Sunday. . . Any knowledge you have on Crinone would be very appreciated.

Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
My questions are:

Yes, it will.  Yes, I do the same method--take it until 14 days after ovulation when you check beta HCG and if <2 then stop the Crinone.

It should. The luteal phase that is 11-12 day is short for me. I would like to see it for at least 13 to 14 days if possible. Therefore I suggest taking it until the betaHCG is <2.0, 14 days after ovulation. Of course, if it were positive, you should continue the Crinone per your REI's instruction.