Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Green Tea and Folic Acid

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

Green Tea and Folic Acid

Hello.. I am currently undergoing fertility treatments and have had recurrent miscarriages, we recently found that i am homozygous MTHFR, so i'm now on folic acid, asprin, and will be on heparin once we conceive again. My question is that I have heard in the past that green tea can deplete folic acid in your body. Is this myth or is it correct? Should i avoid green tea while trying to conceive? or just not drink it around the same time i take my folic acid supplements? Thank you so very much for your time, it means a lot!  
Avatar dr m tn
I do not recommend taking Green tea when you are trying to get pregnant.
First green tea can decrease the absorption of folic acid because tea contains tannins. In addition, green tea does have some caffeine, and if you are trying to get pregnant, I recommend no caffeinated beverage.  There has been a study that showed increased micarriage in women taking 200mg of caffeine.  While I am sure you are not taking that much caffeine, why take anything with caffeine in it.
Thank you so very much! your time is greatly appreciated!