Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Low morphology count in semen analysis

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

Low morphology count in semen analysis

My husband has now had 2 semen analysis tests. The 1st showed 18% normal morphology the 2nd only 4%. All other areas of the test are good.Dr has asked him to do another sample. I have had hormone tests, hsg which have both come back ok and show i am ovulating. We have been trying to conceive for 3 years now. We did fall pregnant in May2008 but miscarried at around 6 weeks. Have just seen gyne doctor today who assured us we could still get pregnant naturally and asked us to make appt for 3 months time when he said he would give us clomid. Is it possible to get pregnant with this very low % of normal sperm?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
A diagnosis of an abnormal semen analysis can only be made after testing the semen analysis at least 70 days apart.  That is how long it will take to test a new batch of sperm.  I suggest seeing a specialist in fertility called a Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility specialist instead of waiting or trying with a general gynecologist because the next step that you say you are going to do ie taking Clomd for you is not necessarily the next best step if you do not do intrauterine insemination as well with it because Clomid unmonitored can cause thin endometrial lining and abnormal cervical mucus because it can act as an antiestrogen and so in most cases like yours, I suggest that if you do decide to take Clomid that you also do ultrasound monitoring and intrauterine insemination with your husband's semen. I also presume that you had a cycle day 2 or 3 FSH, Estradiol, Prolactin and TSH and they were all normal.