Oil Paint fumes?
Can oil painting affect fertility in any way? My husband paints in the room we sleep in and stay most of the time. should i limit my exposure in the room if trying to conceive? Answer much appreciated.
I found this site:
http://parenting.ivillage.com/pregnancy/psafe/0,,midwife_3pfq,00.html:

"From M. Paul's "Occupational and Environmental Reproductive Hazards": "Many of the hazardous ingredients found in industrial and art paints have been removed from products intended for household use." Methods of preparation and application differ which may also impact the hazards. Spraying may be more hazardous than brushing.

"No studies have specifically assessed reproductive or developmental health risks associated with painting during home renovation. Inferences must be made from the data on specific constituents of the paints". If the paint was manufactured after 1990, it no longer contains inorganic mercury which is a reproductive hazardous substance.

While organic solvents can be found in all paints, their concentration is considerably less in latex products than in oil based formulations. Daily exposure to such solvents (occupational) has been known to cause an increased risk of miscarriage and sperm defects in male exposure.

Working with the paints and refinishing products is obviously more problematic than being exposed to fumes in a well ventilated area. "Exposure to paints containing ethylene glycol, ethers, mercury or formaldehyde releasing biocides should be avoided." "
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Comprehensive info on 720K doctors.
Complete reviews, ratings & more.