Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Passing tissue during menstruation

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

Passing tissue during menstruation

I am 22 years old. I am in the middle of menstruating and was disturbed to find a large lump of what I can only describe of tissue in my sanitary towel. To begin with I found this strange, and used a tampon instead. On removing the tampon I found it was completely covered in large amounts of this tissue. After examining the tissue, I realised it wasn't blood clots (the tissue is a whitish/greyish colour and not bloody at all) and was shocked to see this. I never usually suffer from bad pains or overally heavy flows during menstruation but this time I have had pains for about two weeks before I was actually due on.

I went to discuss this with my doctor who dismissed me and said "i don't know". She has confirmed that I am not miscarrying which was my first concern however she has not given me any idea or explanation as to what is happening.

Has anybody else seem this before. I desperatley want to start trying for children in the next few years and this scared me a lot so any advise would be very appreciated.

L
Avatar_dr_m_tn
You should make sure that you were not pregnant by a blood pregnancy test call a quantitative Beta-HCG. If you were not pregnant, and you have normal cycles this is unusual. If you have regular cycles every 28-30 days then you should not develop any tissue build up. If you have irregular cycles then sometimes the uterine lining can be like tissue when it comes out. If it happens again, you can bring in the tissue in a sterile container to have your doctor send it to the laboratory.
I wish you the best.
1 Comment
A related discussion, Passing Tissue was started.