Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
Questions about PMS, Endometriosis and Primary Dysmenorrhea

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

I have some questions about Endometriosis, Premenstrual Syndrome (PMS) and Primary Dysmenorrhea which are as follows:

(1) Are PMS and Primary Dysmenorrhea different names for the same condition?  They cause lots of the same problems like nausea & vomiting, diarrohea, diziness, fatigue, cramps, headaches and backache.

(2) Does PMS cause stomach cramps by itself or does someone who has PMS and suffers from cramps actually has the cramps because they have Endometriosis or some other condition?

(3) I get very shaky, achy and heavy-feeling legs during bad periods.  I know PMS and Primary Dysmenorrhea can cause something called "fatigue" - is shaky/achy/heavy-feeling legs one of the symptoms of fatigue?  Do you know if Endometriosis can cause fatigue?

(4)
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Here are the answers:

No. PMS is premenstrual syndrome which is defined as "the cyclic occurrence of symptoms that are of sufficient severity to interfere with some aspects of life and that appear with consistent and predictable relationship to the menses." according to the ACOG Practice Bulletin.
The following diagnostic criteria has been proposed for PMS:
PMS can be diagnosed if the patient reports at least one of the following affective and somatic symptoms during the 5 days before menses in each of the three prior menstrual cycles.
Affective: Depression, Angry outburts, Irritability, Anxiety, Confusion, Social withdrawal
Somatic: Breast tenderness, Abdominal bloating, Headache, Swelling of extremities.

Dysmenorrhea is painful menses.

No, see above. Dysmenorrhea can be a sign of endometriosis or other condition.

Yes, endometriosis can cause fatigue.
PMS, is when you are irritable, with mood swings etc. It usually happens a week before your period or during.

Dysmenorrhea- is when you have pelvic pain

Painful cramping during your period could be a sign of endometriosis.  

I was diagnosed with stage IV endometriosis.  I suffered for 15 yrs before i was diagnosed.  I was also diagnosed prior with Fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome and possible MS.  Infact it was none of the above in my opinion.  The underlying problem was the endo.  I felt the same way as you when i had my periods it was awful, Endo can cause fatigue and I still suffer from that as well, so it is possible that I do have chronic fatigue syndrome because it is linked to endo.  

If you have any questions for me just ask.  It was a long road for me and I am here to help
angela