Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
difference between laparoscopy and HSG

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

difference between laparoscopy and HSG

hi

Me and my husband have been TCC for past two years. my husband sperm count in very low .doctors say its at border line and 98% sperms are abnormal. the percentage of fast farword sperms is 0% and straight farword 5% . took four courses of clomid but no result.
i had laparoscopy and hesteroscopy done last month and found both my tubes are blocked. Now my doctor wants me to go for HSG. whats the difference between the two, i read on net laparoscopy and HSG both are more or less similar.
secondly my doctor said that if we go for IVF with ICSI we can start treatment on 21st day of my cycle. but on net it says medications are to be started from 2nd day of the period itself.

am confused please help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
If you had a laparoscopy and hysteroscopy, I presume your doctor did a chromotubation to see is your tubes were open during the laparoscopy and during the hysteroscopy determined that your uterus is shaped normally without any fibroids or polyps. However, you doctor may not have been able to determine that your tubes were open during laparoscopy and therefore wants you to do an HSG.
It does not necessarily mean on cycle day 21 you are going to start gonadotropins. If you are on birth control pills, your doctor may have meant other medications to start on cycle day 21 like Lupron.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I forgot to add that if you are going to do an antagonist protocol (with Cetrotide or Ganirelix) with no Lupron, they often start gonadotropin stimulation on cycle day 21 (if you on the pill for 21 days) before you even get your period.
Thank you so much for your comments. i will be going for HSG this saturday hopefully.

more over am not on birthcontrol pills. i will discuss the matter i detail with my doctor when i go share my HSG report with him. i was told to get HSG immediately after my periods and then from day 21 they can start IVF treatment. After searching from net and getting your reply i feel i need to discuss the various protocals and medicines to be used for the IVF treatment. i will go for IVF in june if required not this month.

thank you
A related discussion, 2nd Child Infertility was started.