Integrative Fertility Expert Forum
polycystic ovarian disease

This forum is for questions and support regarding an integrative approach to healing that combines the best practices in complementary and conventional medicine. Topics include: Acupuncture, Herbal Therapy, Mind/Body Medicine, Traditional Chinese Medicine, Fertility, Stress and Fertility, Body Weight and Fertility, Environmental Contaminants and Fertility, Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Fibroids, Endometriosis, Hormone Imbalances, Menopause.

polycystic ovarian disease

I have recently found out that i have POD and i had it since i was 15, and was told that i can't get pregnant on my own. I was told there were steps i had to take in order to get pregnant. I was just wondering if anyone knew what it was or if there were any side effects for it, so when im ready i'll be prepared for it. I also heard that the cysts could become cancerous, is that true? Thank You for your help
Avatar_dr_m_tn
I suggest that you do a complete work up for PCOS.
This is a general overview of it from my website:
PCOS can affect 5% of all women and common symptoms include irregular menstrual cycles, increased growth of hair on the body, loss of hair on the head, acne, and weight gain. Based on the 2003 ESHRE/ASRM sponsored Consensus Workshop Group, PCOS is diagnosed in women who meet two of the three following criteria: ovarian dysfunction (not ovulating regularly), hyperandrogenism (increased male type hormones on lab testing or clinically increased hair growth), or polycystic ovaries on ultrasound (ovaries which show multiple small cysts on ultrasound). PCOS is a common cause of infertility and puts women at an increased risk of developing Type 2 diabetes. There is also increased risk of insulin resistance, hypertension, and abnormalities of cholesterol and triglycerides in women with PCOS. Due to these risks, we advise our patients with PCOS to have the complete metabolic assessment with complete lipid panel testing and a two hour glucose tolerance test.
I suggest that you see a Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility specialist. Even if you are not trying to get pregnant, you may need to cycle regularly by possibly being on birth control pills like Yasmin which has DSP which can lower testesterone levels if they are elevated. You may need to take a blood glucose lowering agent like Metformin if you have prediabetes or insulin resistance.  When you are ready to get pregnant, you may need to take a medication to stimulate ovulation like Clomiphene Citrate.  All this can be done by the REI  specialist.