Internal Medicine Expert Forum
Abdominal / bladder issues after stopping Prevacid

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to how to prevent and treat diseases, treatment for chronic conditions or find solutions to puzzling diagnostic problems that affect adults.

I am a 46 year old male with hypothyroidism, which I take Synthroid for.  I was in the hospital because my appendix ruptured, and after I was discharged I was put on Prevacid.  I took Prevacid for 6 weeks, then a couple of days after I stopped the Prevacid I developed mild to moderate abdominal pain, first in the bladder area, then after a couple weeks more in the middle of my abdomen, and I also developed difficulty emptying my bladder. The bladder pain improved with antacids when I tried that.  The other abdominal pain did also.  My Internist cheked for hernias, my prostate, and urinalysis, all negative. This has been going on for two and a half months.  I don't want to go back on Prevacid, because while I was on it my TSH quadrupled.  What might be causing the abdominal/bladder issues?  I never had these symptoms before I was on Prevacid.  Will these symptoms go away on their own?  Should I take something like Zantac or will that also block absorption of my Synthroid?