Internal Medicine Expert Forum
Follicuilitis everywhere

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to how to prevent and treat diseases, treatment for chronic conditions or find solutions to puzzling diagnostic problems that affect adults.

Follicuilitis everywhere

Dear Doctor,

Im suffering from folliculitis for 8 months now. I have then now in the whole body: a few in my tights, a few in my belly, a few in my arms (mostly biceps region), in my neck, in my cheeks, a few in my nose and forehead. also in the scalp.

They are generally small in size, some of then looks like small pimples (acne), but if you look closely you can see the hair in the middle of the lesion.

Im also had recent epysodes of boil im my ear (i had one in each ear, not at the same time). they got really painful.

I was to a dermatologyst, that confirmed folliculitis. gave some cream, but no effect.

What would you recommend in my situtation?

PS. in dec 2011 I had a sex exposure with a CSW. Since then I got a lot of weird symptoms, that is scaring me a lot. My last test for STD was at 8 months after exposure, and everything was negative. You can see my previous post about this incident (had to create another user due password issue):
http://www.medhelp.org/posts/STDs/Protected-sex--but-Too-many-symptoms-/show/1675037

I live in Brazil, Im male, 34 years old, non smoking, vegetarian (+fish).
Thank you very much.
Best to you all.
Thank you for your question.

Staphylococcal folliculitis is the most common form of infectious folliculitis. One pustule or a group of pustules can occur on just about any skin surface, similar to what you are describing above. Oral antibiotics are used in most cases for topical (cream) treatment failures. Ask you dermatologist about prescribing you oral (i.e. pills) antibiotic therapy.

Here are some techniques to eradicate staphylococcus aureus, the most common causative bacteria in folliculitis:
* Avoid picking your nose.
* Change your towels, washcloths, and sheets daily.
* Clean your shaving instruments thoroughly each day.
* Wash your entire body and the fingernails with a nail brush each day for 1 to 3 weeks with one of the following cleansing materials: Betadine, Hibiclens, or pHisoHex soap. You can decrease the frequency of washing if the skin becomes dry.

-Dr. S
Thank you Doctor,

Just to add more info, maybe it is relevant: I was today in the beach taking sunbath for 1 hour, and the spots got vivid red. The ones in my belly (that now I can see that I have a lot of then spread) are flat red spots with a hair in the center (these are not " bumps").
Thanks again for your help.
Today appeared in the neck and arm of my girlfriend some folliculitis bumps :-(