Pharyngitis

My doctor diagnosed me a sevee pharyngitis with "white fluid" in my throat.
Fever.aches.severe sore throat-one little node under the jaw and one little one under my arm- both a little bit painful
MNI test negative
CBC reports : Hyper leukocytosis with
hyperneutrophilia high count above the norm 9000 (lab value max range 7000)
Lymphopenia with a low count under the norm- 600 ( lab value min range 1000- my previous was at 2000)
So I was prescribed 10 days of antibiotics (amoxicillin and clavulanic acid)
In 48/72 hours the main symptoms disappeared. I finished my treatment of ten 10 days and I m Ok except a little anal mycosis (antibiotics?)

I am concerned with my CBC. Is it normal ? Bacterial infection ? I can read many terrible things on the net ?

Please help me to understand. May be my ORL think it is not necessary to explain me.

Thanks in advance

Thank you for your question.

Generally if one of my patients complained of the same symptoms you described in your question, I would be suspicious of a bacterial pharyngitis caused by a Group A Streptococcal (“Strep throat”).

In adults, there are specific criteria, called the Centor criteria:
- Fever: subjective or measured >100.5°F
- Absence of cough
- Tender anterior cervical lymphadenopathy (swollen lymph node in neck)
- Tonsillar exudates (white fluid)

It seems you have at least 3 of these (you didn’t mention that you didn’t have a cough). In general, I treat patients with antibiotics with 4 of these criteria.In patients with 2,3, criteria I perform a rapid strep test before I make the diagnosis.

To answer your question and hopefully relieve some of your anxiety, it is very common for patients to have a leukocytosis with a predominance of neutrophils like you describe in your question. It should not cause you excessive worry. I am glad that you responded so well with resolution of your symptoms within 48 to 72 hours.

Thank you,
Dr. S
Thank you doctor.
To conclude what about such a low count of lymphocytes. Is it common in those types of infections ?
That is my last concern.
Hope to read you soon.

Thanks in advance.