Internal Medicine Expert Forum
Pinworms - Albenza 200mg or 400mg/Reese's

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to how to prevent and treat diseases, treatment for chronic conditions or find solutions to puzzling diagnostic problems that affect adults.

I have pinworms (diagnosed by identification of live specimens on toilet paper and stool).

I went to an urgent care clinic initially, because my primary and gastroenterologist are several hours away. Urgent care clinic doctor prescribed Vermox (now discontinued, according to several pharmacies). Pharmacist called the urgent care doctor to notify him that Albenza was the new standard treatment, and that it came in denominations of 200mg rather than the 100mg of Vermox. Urgent care doctor changed Rx to 2 x 200mg Albenza, spaced two weeks apart.

I followed up with my gastroenterologist the next day asking why i was given the 200mg dosage, when all of the literature seems to indicate 2 x 400mg as the therapeutic dose. He told me to take the second 200mg pill now, and that he would write a new Rx for 400mg to take in 2 weeks.

My questions are as follows:

1. Will the effectiveness of the initial dose be compromised by the interval in dose? In other words, because I took 1 200mg tablet one day, and another 200mg tablet the next day, is the effectiveness weaker than a single 400mg dose?

2. I also have Reese's Pinworm medication (pyrantel). Can I take this as an adjunctive therapy alongside the Albenza? Will it interfere with the effectiveness of the Albenza? I have read too many horror stories of persistent pinworm infections that don't respond to treatment, and I am mortified by the prospect of joining those ranks.

Thanks.
1 Comment
I'd be scared also!  I'm not a pharmacist, but I think it would be okay to take both medications together, or at the same time, as long as the doctor prescribed them both to you at the same time. It wouldn't make sense to take one medicine and not the other, in my opinion anyway. I wouldn't worry about the effectiveness of the first dose, as you now know that your on the correct dosage, your body will adjust accordingly. Thank God there is medications for certain things in this world huh? I'm certain, and optimistic that the medicines will work, and that you will be fine in no time. Take care.
                            shinty