Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Burning sensation

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Burning sensation

I have burning sensation all the time up in the vagina, and pelvic area, have been treated as a yeast infection, and had a UTI a couple of weeks ago, and was treated with LevAQuin. I still burn sometimes, and have pain on my left side of abdomen, with some burning in my lower back on left side. I only have my left ovary, which I am suppose to have surgery tomorrow to remove the ovary and do a bladder lift, because of incontinence, but I am so afraid to do the surgery because of this burning sensation.I just don't want it to go into a severe infection,with a catheter and all.My Dr. has checked my urine the other day, and said it was clear, but I still have the burning after I urinate, not during urination. Do you think I should still have the surgery, or get this burning cleared up first?? Please answer as soon as possible. Thanks
Hi, burning in the pelvis could be a number if things. A vaginitis can cause a burning sensation, a bladder infection can as well.  You're gynecologist who is doing your surgery should have checked for an infection.  The burning can also be from estrogen withdrawal effect from loss of hormone production on the vaginal wall.  You didn't mention how old you are.  If the abdominal burning continues after your surgery you may need an evaluation for interstitial cystitis if you have some associated urinary frequency and urgency.  Your gynecologist should be able to sort this out. Good Luck
1 Comment
Call the office of a woman gynecologist and explain the problem.  Maybe they can suggest something that would sound better to you.  I'm 67 and "they" started telling me I needed that surgery when I was 26.  You didn't mention your age, nor size, nor physical condition.  If you learn to do Kegel exercises and stay away from dairy and sweets, including not too much fruit, you can pretty well stop the incontinence.  Learn to tighten those muscles before a sneeze, cough, large step down (like off the bus or the side of the porch), laugh, or blowing your nose.  If your ovary is diseased, then it probably needs to come out.  But if it's not, why are you having it removed?  Because they might as well do it while they're lifting the bladder?  If I stay away from dairy and sweets, and only eat fruit about every 2-3 days, I have almost no leakage.  I do take a daily fruit extract supplement to make up for not eating fresh fruit each day.  You can practice tightening and releasing your muscles almost anywhere.  I don't think any organ should be removed unless it is diseased.  Google the H.E.R.S. Foundation.  They have a good list of doctors who won't do any more than what is medically necessary.  Whatever you decide, good luck!  As for the burning, it could be any number of things, including interstitial cystitis.  If your doctor did a urinalysis, including culture, then you likely need not worry about a bacterial infection.  Be sure to eliminate every hour or so.  I think my interstitial cystitis is a result of not going to the restroom except at home, even though I've worked 12-hr days most of my life.  Eat wholesome and nutritious food, get plenty of water, vitamins and minerals.  Good luck to you.  Let us know what happens.