Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Burning while Urination/ urget need to urinate after using the bathroom...

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Burning while Urination/ urget need to urinate after using the bathroom

Dr. David
i am a 25 year old healthy male. 5 days ago i started having burning sensation while urinating. No rash, No blisters, No discharge, No blood or cloudy urine.  and my genital area looks normal. I got one of the UTI home tests and i tried it and it came back negative. I still have the burning sensation and urgent need to urinate right after using the bathroom. i have noticed that after peeing i still have drops of urine coming out (as if i dont have control over that).
what do you think is the problem ? could it be an interstitial cystitis ? or could it be something else ?

Thank you
Hi, any time a young male has dysuria, and no urinary tract infection, the first thing to rule out is a urethral stricture.  An injury to the urethra or an infection in the past can cause scar tissur formation, restrict the flow, and cause a burning sensation when urine hits the stricture area. Basically you need a cystoscopy.  A thin flexible scope is passed down the urethra into the bladder in the office with a local anesthetic.  If the urethra is normal, I would try a course of an antibiotic so see if the symptoms resolve dispite the normal urine cultures.  Cipro 500mg wtice daily for 7-10 days may just make it go away.  Your symptoms do not sound like Interstitial Cystitis.  You need bladder frequency or constand urgency along with the burnig for an IC diagnosis. Good Luck.
David, i am 25/female  and i am having the same problem, Its not major, however the satisfaction of peeing is missing, Some doc told me early(once i had the same problem) that its because of less intake of water. I hope its nothing major. Can you prescribe me some medicine?
David one more thing, is it something to do with sex? I had this problem twice and the one thing common was sex. I was over sexed and had little irritation down there.