Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Confused

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Confused
Dear doctor,
I am a girl of 25 years old. It is from a year that i am suffering with these symptoms. Burning of the vulva while staying and burning after urination and a sign of discomfort while urinating. all this began a year ago when i had my first time sexual intercourse. Three months after i had my first intercourse ( and i have not been sexually active anymore), the doctor made an urine analysis which came back negative, a urine culture which was sterile and also to be on the safe side a test for chlamydia i was ok, plus the blood test for diabete and i was fine. But these symptoms never stop. I have discomfort down there, while sitting while standing it seems like the small lips from where the urine comes out burn from inside and from outside aswell. I was to the gynecologist and she gave me three vaginal tablets(canesten) because i had burnings down there after urination and lots of discharges ( discharges i have had the same even before having sex). And to mention the symptoms go away during menstruations. Now i am really confused it is a year i have these symptoms. Is there a vaginal problem or an urethral problem? Urine culture always in my like has been clean, but i feel pain and burning sensation like discomfort in the vulva and during the end and after the urine it burns. Is it a sign of bacterial vaginosis, but everything disappears when im during the menstruation? I hope you can ease my pain with your suggestions.
Your time is very much appreciated,
Suela
Hi,  Your history is complex and its not clear what the problem is.  There is a problem called vulvadynia, pain in the labia with no clear cause.  Another problem is urethral syndrome, where there is a burning sensation on the urethra, worse with voiding.  Then there is interstitial cystitis, that causes urinary frequency, urgency and bladder, pubic or vaginal pain, usually with bladder filling. Endometriosis is a pelvic pain problem that flares up during different times of your menstrual cycle. Of course you could have a vaginal infection on top of one of there problems.  You need to be seen by a Gynecologist who specializes in pelvic pain, and a Urologist who specializes in Interstitial Cystitis to do specific testing to sort this out.  Good Luck.