Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Could it be IC?
About This Forum:

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Could it be IC?

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

I am 28 yrs old. I always have more frequent urination when compared to others around me. I have had a UTI 4 yrs ago. Last month 22nd(march) was last day of my period. On the 23rd I started experiencing frequent urges to urinate. Doctor prescribed sulpha without ordering the culture. After 2 days on sulpha with bad reaction from it my medication was changed to cipro and dr. ordered urine culture. The urinalysis  came back normal except for high sqaumous cell count). The culture was also negative with very few bacteria. I completed the 3 day course of cipro without any significant improvement in urgency and frequency symptoms. I have had the same symptoms (urgency, frequency no burning) since with dull/mild pain in the front and back of abdomen which come and goes. My doctor is now saying that it could be IC. Aren't there any to be carried out , other diseases to be ruled out before reaching the conclusion ? Please let me know.
Thanks!!
Related Discussions
509188_tn?1211228331
Hi, frequency and urgency are signs of a hypersensitivity bladder disorder.  Assuming you have symptoms but don't have an infection (negative culture or no response to multiple antibiotics) you could have overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis (IC). Overactive bladder usually causes no pain or discomfort, although some patients may complain of bladder spasms or discomfort just before voiding when forced to hold their bladder.  Generally Interstitial cystitis patients have constant urge with increasing discomfort as the bladder fills. Often early IC can have variable pain of discomfort so the distinction between IC and overactive bladder can sometimes be unclear.

I woud start by trying a standard medication for overactive bladder and see how you respond.  Other things that can cause frequency, urgency, and pelvic discomfort  are a kidney stone in the ureter, endometriosis, vaginitis, or other pelvic infections.  You need to see a gynecologist or urologist to sort out the problem.  A history, physical examination, possibly X ray tests and eventually a look into your bladder with a scope to see if you have IC or another problem is needed.  Good Luck    
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank