Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Frequent Urge to Urinate and Bladder Pain/Pressure

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Hi. I have been having the following symptoms for the past month.

1. Frequent urge to urinate (every 1/2 hour - hour)
2. Bladder pressure (even after I urinate)
3. Bladder pressure gets worse at night
4. Pain during intercourse (around bladder area)
5. Bladder pressure/pain gets worse after intercourse

I went to see the doctor and got urine test. The test came out negative. The doctor said I have no UTI, no bladder infection, and no kidney infection.

Does this sound like I have IC? My bladder pressure is so bad sometimes I can't even wear jeans. I have to wear loose fitting pants. What should I do? What medications can I take?

This is so frustrating because I've seen 2 doctors already and they both did not find out the reason for my bladder pain.

HI, you have the classic symptoms of IC:  frequency, urgency and bladder/pelvic pain, pressure or discomfort.  Overactive bladder usually has urgency and frequency, possible urge incontinence but does not cause pain or pressure in the bladder.  If you don't have a UTI, and your urine shows no blood or heavy glucose, and you don't have an obvious neurologic disorder affecting your bladder you probably have IC.  You first step is to see a Urologist or Urogynecologist who specializes in IC to get a correct diagnosis and treatment. It's unlikely you will need urodynamics.   Good Luck
There are a number of meds. for overactive bladder.  Some of your symptoms could be IC.  There are symptom surveys that you can take that will help your MD determine if you have IC. There are special test that can show the bladder lining to verify IC.
Well, I don't think it's an overactive bladder because I constantly have bladder pressure, not a sudden urge to urinate.

Also, I can tell that my bladder is inflamed when I press against my abdomen.

I am only 32, I don't know why I am experiencing this problem?
Urodynamics is a test that can be done to evaluate the bladder function.  Sometimes it will also show IC.  There is also a test for potassium sensitivity that is used to diagnose IC.  One other test that can help diagnose IC is cystoscopy with hydrodistention.

Most people that have IC flare when they eat certain foods.  The most common foods that cause flares are chocolate, citrus fruits, carbonated beverages and caffeine.  I know if you search on the internet you will find several sites that are totally concerned with Interstitial Cystitis.  Some of the sites have a discusson forum. I know there is one with at least 30 different boards concerned with individual concerns about IC.