Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
IC and Pregnancy

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

IC and Pregnancy
Any recommendations on treating IC symptoms in pregnancy?  I used to take elavil and had to go off it when I got pregnant.  I was ok for awhile, but now I'm having flare ups.  What treatment options do I have?
IC and pregnanacy is an interesting issue.  Most patients who are pregnant have a dramatic reduction in IC symptoms for unclear reasons.  Factors could include hormone changes, or an increase in body chemicals called endogenous opoids that naturally kill pain. Unfortunately there are no oral IC treatments that have been approved in pregnancy, therefore all IC treatments must be stopped.  Also no intravesical treatments have been proven safe.  All pregnant women void frequently in the last 2 months due to the size of the uterus limiting bladder expansion.  Maximun diet avoidance therapy, stress reduction and the other behavioral options are all you really have.  See the ICA website at ichelp.org for more tips on controling symptoms during pregnancy.  Good Luck
I went into remission with pregnancy and nursing. The hormones worked wonders for me- give it a little while cause I flared up until about 8 weeks pregnant then I was great IC wise- still in remission and babe is 3 1/2 years old thank the Lord!