Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
IC bladder spasms & not being able to pee at night.

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

Dr. Burks
I've had IC for at least 4 years, they only diagnosed me with it about 2 years ago. I'm on Elmiron and Vesicare. Is it normal to get BAD bladder spasms.??  And some days I go to the restroom at least 30 + times. And sometimes only be a few drips of urine. And the pain on some days is terrible, all I can do is lay down with a heating pad on me. Is this all normal with IC.???  And I have IBS as well, (mostly I have bad contipation), can that make my IC worse.?? There are days 2-3 days I dont have a BM. Now the last week or so, I've got up in the middle of the night to use the restroom and I cant go pee I sit there for about 5 minutes and I have to go but it will not come out, so I go back to bed and go back to sleep and will wake up maybe 1/2 an hour later to go to the restroom and I'll be lucky most of the time I can pee. Is this normal.??  I'm sorry to ask so many questions but I go to a MD doctor and I dont think she knows much about IC. And where I live  I cant seem to find a Doctor that knows about IC that will take my insurance. Thank-you.
You need to go to the ICA website:  ishelp.org.  There is a listing of physicians across the country that have expertise in IC.  You would need to see the nearest one and at least do a consultation visit, bring your old records and let him/her give you an opinion regarding the next steps.  Unfortunately, like many other IC patients you have a second pain disorder: IBS.  You will need to so a gastroenterologist for a workup and treatment.  Bladder spasms and the constant urge to void with little or no urine in your bladder is common in IC.  Elavil is an antidepressant but is a first line drug to treat IC, especially when getting up frequently at night is a real problem.  It helps patients sleep, and reduces pain in most IC.  The dose is 10mg for 7 days then 25mg, with gradual increase to 75mg as tolerated.  Drowsiness is the #1 side effect so the dose is  slowly increased.  This may be more effective than Vesicare.  Good Luck.