Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
IC with foul smellin urine

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

IC with foul smellin urine

I was diagnosed with IC 20 plus years ago.  Lately my urine has a very foul smell and sometimes is cloudy.  I always have frequency and many times do not make it to the potty before the flood gates open.  However, the smell can linger for awhile after I have left.  I'm tired to going to the doc's and having a negative urine test.  My doctor doesn't know what to do with me anymore since I can't take the Elmoran for the IC.  I have been in pain management for the past few years that seems to keep it at bay.  The smell is the main concern.  My diet has not changed.  I have Celiac Sprue, therefore maintain a gluten free diet as much as I can.  Please advise.
HI,  Interstitial Cystitis is probably an inflammatory disorder of the bladder that causes urinary frequency, urgency and pain/pressure/discomfort.  The urine has to show no infection by definition before the diagnosis can be made. Many women, however, have interstitial cystitis and get culture positive urinary infections from time to time, so both problems can co-exist. Foul smelling urine is not caused by Interstitial Cystitis.  I suspect you do have a UTI or something you are eating like asparagus is causing your urine to smell.  Make sure your doctor sent a culture when you were not on antibiotics to make sure this in not a simple infection.  Cloudy urine can be from an infection but can also be heavy sediment in the urine from the bladder wall inflammation without an infection. If its not, then you need to be checked for a vaginitis or some other problem. A gynecologist or urologist should be able to sort this out.  Good Luck