Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Question reguarding answer to a previous question!

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

I read in a previous question that sluffing of the bladder lining looks like tissue pieces...what are all the possible causes of this happening. I had this happen when I had very bad symptoms and pain, then a bacterial infection was found. Now I'm told I have IC. Just wondering what you think the cause of the tissue looking pieces was? AND, if the IC could be a result of the infection going untreated for too long? Thanks!
Tags: question
Hi  Hayley,
Sluffing of the bladder lining can certainly happen in patients with a bad urinary tract infection.  The bacteria attach to and invade the bladder wall.  Your body reacts to the infection by sending white blood cells to the site of infection to kill the bacteria.  This reaction causing swelling and sluffing of the lining, pain and urgency, and often bleeding when the infection is bad. Once the bacterial infection is treated the white blood cell reaction resolves and the lining usually repairs itself.
Interstitial cystitis can be initiated by a an injury to the bladder.  These injuries include an injury during a surgery like a hysterectomy, but the most common one is a bad bladder infection.  Its common for patients to give a history of getting frequent bladder infections successfully treated with antibiotics for years. Then they get "the worst infection I ever had"  and suddenly they have the symptoms of a bad infection but the urine cultures are negative, and they are ultimately diagnosed with IC. Inflammatory cells from the body's reaction to the infection in the bladder wall get out of control, causes pain and more inflammation to occur, perpetuating a vicious cycle. The bladder wall cannot repair itself and IC develops.  
I'm doubled over in pain from my bladder. I've been sluffing and I've also been taking penicilin for a dental surgery I had. Would penicilin have worked on any infection or inflammation that I may have in the bladder? What antibiotics are specifically used for the bladder? Thank you.
Thankyou, that explains a lot and is very helpful!!!
Usually when the doctor sends your urine for culture the bacteria is grown and tested against various antobiotics.  Many bacteria are sensitive to penicillin but there are some bacteria that show resistance, ie penicillin won't work. Is sounds like your infection is resistant to penicillin.  You need a urine culture sent so the bacteria can be identified and the right antibiotic for your specific bacteria type can be prescribed.  
Good luck.