Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
UTI problems

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

UTI problems
i had a UTI in september of 2008 and i tested positive got antibiotics and they worked. Then about a month later it came back again..i tested positive and they gave me antibiotics which worked..then a short while later i thought it came back again and they said it was irritiation...each doctor has contradicted the others diagnosis saying they were wrong about my last diagnosis. i dont know what to do because it seems like every month after i get my period i have UTI symptoms and they say its just irritation. i have no clue what to do or what is wrong with me.
Hi,  I'm not sure what your diagnosis is.  I suspect that you had a culture positive UTI initially, then you had recurrence of your symptoms. I assume you had follow-up cultures that showed no infection after the first episode.  You didnt give any detail about exactly what your symptoms are but I assume when you mean "irritation" you mean you are urinating more frequently and have urgency and a burning/discomfort/pressure sensation in the bladder/urethra/vagina.  If you do, and a urine culture shows no infection, then you may have Interstitial Cystitis.  It is an inflammatory disorder of the bladder that has symptoms similar to a UTI.  Patients often have UTIs with positive cultures for infection, followed by symptoms but cultures that show no infection. Another problem called endometriosis can cause symptoms related to your menstrual cycle You need to see a Urologist or Urogynecologist who specializes in pelvic pain or IC to get a correct diagnosis and treatment.   Go to the website ichelp.org for further info.  Good Luck.