Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
UTI's in the family

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

UTI's in the family

I had a SAH last May. About three days later had a UTI probably from the catheter. I also had a C&S that revealed e. coli and pseudomonas. I took a round of macrobid, cipro, bacterim, and another round of macrobid. With this round my urine came out clean. A month or two later I started having some crampy like pain that I have on occasion. Dr. said it was my bladder and that I needed to see a urologist and more than likely the diagnosis would be IC. My sister has had the same problems, has been scoped ect the whole work up and nothing was found.  She usually has to take multiple antibiotics. This past week, using a azo test strip, yet another UTI. Given macrobid again. I don't know if a C&S was done or not. These infections are not like or have the same signs and symtpoms of a UTI. I felt bad, ached all over, and had heart burn like pain toward the bladder. Could maybe I still have something from last year that was never completely killed out even though the test strip said their was nothing?

Should I see a urologist? My insurance has a very high dec. Can bladder problems run in families? Does IC run in families?

Thank you for your reply.
hey
HI,  the question is-- what is the problem?  I assume that a SAH was a hysterectomy.  Its not uncommon to have a catheter induced bladder infection post surgery.  It was cultured and eventually appropriately treated.  You were fine for a while, now you are having symptoms again. Basically you need a urine culture to see if there is a resistant infection, not responding to macrobid. Test strips are often unreliable for diagnosing an infection and certainly can't identify a specific organism.  Your primary care MD can check for infection.  If cultures come back clear, then Interstitial Cystitis should be considered. There could also be a problem with how your bladder functions after the hysterectomy predisposing you to getting an infection or the bladder symptoms.  A Urologist (bladder specialist) can help you sort out these issues and institute a treatment plan.   Good Luck.