Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
Urinary frequency and urgency with a side of leg aching.

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

For the past several weeks I have been unable to sleep due to the constant urge to urinate during the night. When I do try to go, hardly anything comes out. I do not experience any burning upon urination nor is my urine cloudy or dark yellow.  Along with the frequent urination I experience  very achy, tingly pains from my knees down to my ankles at the same time.  The aching and tingling is mainly in my ankles. I'm puzzled as to why every time I feel the urge to urinate that I experience the aching as well??  I cannot sleep at night anymore and it is keeping me up .

Help please.
Hi,  I don't know how old you are or what your gender is but I think I can answer the question.  Assuming that you don't have an infection due to your lack of symptoms this could certainly be overactive bladder.  It's a common problem that has urgency to void as the underlying factor. The constant urgency causes you to urinate more, usually during the day and night. Overactive bladder is treated with a pill to see it will resolve.  There are some people who make a lot of urine at night, voiding large volumes frequently. Swelling in your legs that accumulated during the day can cause you to produce alot of urine when you are laying flat at night when the swelling gets reabsorbed into your body and then to your bladder. Poorly controlled diabetes can also make patients urinate frequently at night.  It's unclear what is causing your lower leg/ ankle problems.  Usually bladder problem are not felt in the lower legs unless there is a nerve problem in the spine affecting the bladder and legs. I recommend you get a basic evaluation by your primary care MD and start a standard pill for overactive bladder and see what happens.  You may need a more detailed workup by a urologist if the pills are ineffective.  Good Luck