Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
bladder infections ?

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

bladder infections ?

I just posted a response/question on the forum.  I am very frustrated.  I am no longer working.  I have to use the bathroom quite often during the day and 1 to 3 times a night.  Do you think its interstitial cystitis plus urinary tract infections.  If you could read my post.  I dont want to write it all again, but I will if needed.  Thanks
Hi,  you have urinary frequency.  This could be due to multiple problems.  The most obvious is a urinary tract infection (UTI).  You need your urine tested with a urinalysis and culture to see if you have an infection during symptoms, blood in the urine or other problems.  If you do have a UTI--get it treated.  The second most common problem that causes urinary frequency is overactive bladder (OAB).  You get frequency, urgency and some people get urge incontinence with OAB and a UTI has to be ruled out. Standard treatment is with a pill to reduce or eliminate the urgency/frequency symptoms.  Interstitial Cystitis is a relatively rare disease, in patients who have a negative urine culture and have bladder pain,  pressure or discomfort.

You basically need to see your gynecologist or primary care MD, get the urinalysis and urine culture checked, and if it is negative get a work up for OAB vrs IC vrs other causes.  Good Luck