Interstitial Cystitis Expert Forum
what is causing the pain?

Questions in the Interstitial Cystitis. forum are answered by Dr. David A. Burks, MD from Henry Ford Health Systems.

what is causing the pain?

Hi, I have been in pain in my lower stomach area/bladder for 3 weeks. Also having to uinate all the time.Went to my dr. last week and he did urine culture said there was bacteia and gave me antibiotic. It did not help the pain. He ordered a stronger one. Did not help. I went to the ER in so much pain. They ran all kinds of tests. CT Scan came back with Punctate nonobstrctive right renal stone. What does that mean? and Calcifications in the pelvis consistent with phleboliths. What does that mean? Would either of those be causing this pain? Thank you and look forward to hearing from you. IbeStacyD  
Hi,  The CT scan finding of a nonobstructive punctate calcification in the kidney is not causing your pelvic pain.  Neither are the phleboliths which are calcifications in blood vessels.  Both are incidental findings not related to your symptoms.  The question is whether this is a true urinary tract infection that is not responding to antibiotics or is this Interstitial cystitis (IC)?  In a female the urine can pick up  bacteria from the vagina as it passed out into the specimin cup. Therefore it depends on what type of bacteria grew in the culture; bacteria from the bladder that should have responded to the antibiotics, or bacteria from the vagina.  I suspect your culture did not grow bacteria from the bladder and you never had a true bladder infection. IC and UTIs often has the same symptoms and the two are frequently confused in women.  You need a referral to a urologist or gynecologist for a pelvic exam and catheterized urine specimin.  If there is no sign of a bladder or vaginal infection you need a work up for possible IC.  Go to ichelp.org, the Interstitial Cystitis official web  site for details on IC and how to get the correct diagnosis.   Good Luck