Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Pelvic Pain Support Forum User Group
How can you tell the difference between a flare-up and a UTI
About This Group:

This support forum is for those who suffer from Interstitial Cystitis and Chronic Pelvic Pain and for those who support them. IC is a very individual and often difficult to treat painful illness. IC often has many other conditions that exist along with it adding to the Pelvic Pain. This forum is to provide support, encouragement, and education so that together we can find treatments and hopefully someday a cure!

Founded by MSKshelly on September 22, 2009
62 members

Hi there,
I'm in the 2nd day of what appears to be a flare (brought about by, I believe, intercourse). However, I no longer have health insurance, and as a result, I can't afford to hop to the doctor to find out if what I have is a bladder infection or a flare. Since I'm generally very careful (wash/pee after intercourse, drink lots of water, don't hold it), I'm inclined to believe this is a flare-up and not a UTI. But I'd hate to be wrong and end up with a kidney infection. How can you tell the difference between a flare and a UTI? Are there any tell-tale signs, from others? (I've had UTIs in the past, but the last time I had one was a few years ago, so its hard to remember what it was like compared to this). Please help!
Honestly I keep a bottle of  the UA test strips on hand and check my urine at home frequently.  I also have no insurance, often have chronic uti's and so it just makes sense to do so. You can order a bottle of 100 strips through Pulmolab , the generic one run around $30 with shipping i believe.  HOWEVER, right now it is very hard for an IC patient to tell the difference since a flare feels so much like a uti., then the one time your sure it is just flare you are in an infection and don't even know it.  

Have you taken your temperature?  If you have an elevated temp. don't delay in seeking medical attention. The other option would be to call your doctor and just ask if you could drop off a urine sample and have them test it.  They may not make you pay for a whole appointment to do so.

So now, since it is evening, I would encourage you to take a warm bath , add some baking soda to the water to soothe things. Take any of your IC meds but not AZO the med that turns it orange since it can mess up a UA test. The rest tonight and tomorrow am, if by in the morning our pain is not better, I would encourage you to ask if you could just drop off a urine sample for a simple UA test.

Hope that helps!  Sorry your hurting, and hope it passes soon!

Shelly
a flare up hurts like HELL!! it feels like somebodies taking a knife and repeatedly stabing you in the same spot over and over again.
UTI well for me i dont really get pain just a lil lower back pain and i wont even know i have one until i get a smell down there from having it for so long, because i dont get any syptoms (symptoms)
ChitChatNine commented on ChitChatNine's status
Apr 17
ChitChatNine just broke up a cat fight i... Comment
Apr 17
karryon55 commented on Husband's health...
Apr 15