INTERSTITIAL CYSTITIS (IC), PELVIC PAIN SUPPORT FORUM
GROUP
IC pain meds and constipation
by jdsong, Nov 18, 2009
My mother is on Hydrocodone for her IC pain which she has daily. It has been bad for 4 months now. She is on elival 10mgs so far and its been 1 week with Hydrocodone for pain. Problem for her is very bad constipation. She goes 5 days without going. She has tried colace does nothing, Miralax does nothing, know the Dr has her on Cristolose but still not luck?? The fleet enima is the only thing that works after 5 days but this is her 3rd time taking it and yesterday she notice some blood in her stool? Now what?? She is calling a Gastro dr now.What can on do for constipation with pain meds?
Member Comments (1)
by MSKshelly, Nov 20, 2009
WARNING BEFORE READING THIS POST... IT IS LATE AND i AM VERY VERY TIRED PLEASE EXCUSE ALL TYPOS!!

I know personally the impact constipation caused by pain meds can have on your health etc.  For us is it even greater because, we take pain meds. for the IC, then become constipated which often causes IC flares as well.  Then you take meds. like colace, miralax etc. and many of them can flare you IC badly as well.  For me at least the worst part is about once a month, I get hit with severe pain from it was well.

That said here are some things that help me:
1.  Work hard to increase your water intake.  I know with IC you hate
to drink too much because then your running to the bathroom more, BUT
the more concentrated your urine the more potential to cause initiation.  Water
also flushed the system out so usually will also make the bowel movements less painful etc.

2.  FOR ME: eating Triscuit original.  Only the original lists no preservative.  It important to increase your fluids when you add bulk or you can find yourself
impacted with hard and painful bowels.

3.  Take a good probiotics to put the good bacteria in there to help balance things.
There are many of them out there, the key is getting the one with the most live bacteria is the key.  You want to look for one with FOS which is food for them.  Freeze dried or refrigerated are usually better too.

4. I also found a tea called "Smooth Move" by traditional medicines, that I can tolerate
and seems to help gently.

5.   Then I often do have to use glycerin suppositoires as well.

The one thing to remember is to stay on top of it.  Do not let her body two+ days without a bowel moment!  

I hope that helps some and I would love to hear         your suggestions!

Shelly                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        

Sorry I had no quick fixes but I do hope these things will make it easier on yoru mom.