Complications from tear in ureter during kidney stone removal
My mom is 76 years old and just had an outpatient surgical procedure to remove a kidney stone that was lodged at the opening of her ureter. She has has this done before and did great - no side affects to the anesthesia or pain meds.

During the procedure yesterday, the Dr said he accidentally perforated the wall of her ureter. He inserted a stent and didn't expect any complications other than discomfort from the stent.

During my mom started vomiting continually, and experienced extreme pain that could not be managed - despite them giving her oxcodone and 3 doses of Dilaudid. Finally they gave her toreador and a catheter and put her in the hospital to get her pain under control and observe her symptoms.

The Dr told us the severe pain is probably caused by urine that leaked in the area around her kidney - through the perforated ureter.

She was released from the hospital today and put on Keflex for infection and percocet for pain. She was doing great. Eating well and her pain was manageable.

Tonight she is running a fever of 100.6, has no appetite, says she aches all over and her kidney pain is worse - and not getting much better after taking her percocet.

Should we be concerned by these new symptoms?
HI,
Because of the complication you need to be in touch with your Doctor. Apart from the urine leak, another risk is that of kidney infection which may be the cause of fever. Rigorous measures to keep infection in check will be necessary. Hope this helps.
Take care and good luck.