Interstitial Cystitis Community
Could a cystoscopy worsen IC symptoms?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Interstitial Cystitis .

Could a cystoscopy worsen IC symptoms?

Hi everyone. I am new to this site and would value your opinions. I recently had a cystoscopy to determine why I can't empty my bladder. The urologist's diagnosis: mild IC. My problem is that two days after the cysto, I started to have stinging, burning urine, worsening urine retention and severe abdominal pain. This has been going on for almost a week. The doctor instructed me to take a full course of Cipro to ward off an possible infection. He did not test urine for bacteria. After four days on Cipro, I am much worse. Could the cystoscopy have caused trauma to my urethra and ureters, hence the pain??? Thanks for your help.
Hi there!

Yes, trauma is a possibility and so is infection and increased inflammation/ exacerbation of IC. I would suggest completing the antibiotic course and seeking review with you urologist to consider other possibilities and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!
Thank you so much for your response and info, Dr. Kaul. I did take Cipro for a week after this procedure; so, I know I don't have a bladder infection. I still have intermittent burning, sometimes dreadful, sometimes mild. I guess that's the curse of IC. At least my doctor found nothing life-threatening from the cystoscopy!  However, I wish he had mentioned the inflammation that occur from this test. I didn't know WHAT was happening to me....
Sorry so late in reply, just stumbled across this site.  Also sorry to see so many here with IC also, and being misdiagnosed.
YES, absolutely a cysto or hydro or whatever can worsen symptoms, sorry your uro did not inform you of that.  Our uro was very up front with us, gave us a 50-50 shot at either being better or worse, and unfortunately, we join you in your boat, but hub (the one with SEVERE IC) wanted to take the chance.  But at least he took a good look-see, saw Hunners and the whole bit, so we have that info for his disability if a review comes up.  He could not get pictures as he said it was "too murky up there", but he has everything documented.  And basically said continue on with diet, pain meds and whatever works, and that was that.  Hub's biopsy also revealed the tissue removed had IC components.  I really think hub was hoping for cancer or something else that could be treated, altho he has suffered with IC for a number of years now.
Hope you are better by now, will wait to hear how you are doing.  ICers need to stick together.
Oh, yes, forgot to mention, the urethral pain is the worse for hub, feels like shards of glass.  Uro did not see the IC in the urethra, BUT did say it affects the nerve endings.
Wow. Poor Hubby! And I thought I had it bad! But just like him, I had severe urethral pain after that frigging cysto. I had the cysto in June and was in agony for two months and didn't know why. I wish my Uro would have been as up front as yours. I'm much better now. Yay. I read tho' that in some cases, the cysto can cause permanent damage. Oh, brother!  I'm with your Hubby:. It would be great if IC were actually treatable. We ICers feel cursed because we are never totally cured. Not fair! Thanks so much for your post! It was really enlightening. I only wish your Hubby could get some relief. My IC started because I was given too much anesthesia before and endoscopy. Can you believe that??? What caused Hubby's IC?